About the museum

The museum’s vision is to be courageous, curious and relevant, and to treat human beings as the central focus of our attention. We want our activities to be based on the values of respect, openness and humanism.

Perspektivet Museum is a foundation. It was established in 1996 with the purpose of developing and sharing knowledge as the basis for understanding connections in life, for creating tolerance of cultural diversity, and for offering alternative socio-cultural perspectives.

The Museum has come to be known as an active environment for documenting contemporary life and for communication with the wider public. The museum belongs to Norway’s national museum network and also participates in networks for minorities and cultural diversity.

At the time of the museum’s founding, Troms Folkemuseum and the collections of Tromsø bymuseum were included in the new foundation. In addition to the main premises in the centre of Tromsø, Perspektivet Museum administers two outdoor areas which include a total of 24 buildings of antiquarian value. These properties are made accessible to the public through the museum’s seasonal educational programmes. The scope and contents of the museum’s collections therefore reflect Tromsø and the surrounding community’s museal history from the 1950s to today.

In 2004 the museum opened in its current premises on Storgata 95, in a listed upper-class house built in 1838. Starting in 1911 and for 90 years, this building served as Folkets Hus, offering a multitude of activities and serving many functions. In 2005 Perspektivet Museum became the owner of this beautiful wooden building that lies at the northerly end of the pedestrian street ‘Gågata’.

Inspired by current critical issues and Tromsø’s more recent history, Perspektivet Museum runs project-based activities. The museum’s ongoing documentational work provides material for exhibitions and other types of educational initiatives. The focus on the museum as a medium makes exhibitions the centre of theoretical and practical research. The intention of being visibly present in public discourse steers our practices of collecting, preserving, researching and communicating.

The showing of photographs with a documentary character is one of the museum’s core activities. Current social problems and events are themes for discussion and debate. Over the years, the museum has developed wide international collaboration with photographic bureaus and photographers.

Perspektivet Museum weaves itself into Tromsø’s wider cultural life through participating in events and through collaborating with a range of social actors and environments in the city and outer-lying district.


Aslaug Eidsvik

Head of Administration



Head of Communication



Ingunn Steiro

Desk Manager


Marianne A. Olsen



Marthe Tolnes Fjellestad






André Enger Aas

Museum host

Ane Marte Ryeng

Desk Employee


Lise Rebekka Paltiel

Lecturer/Collection Assistant (temp.)


Sondre Sætaberget

Museum host

Perspektivet Museum Board Members

Board members
Morten Skandfer, chair (provided by Tromsø municipality)
Rebekka Brox Liabø, vice chair (provided by Tromsø municipality)
Britt Kramvig (provided by Tromsø municipality)
Sara Holthe Jaklin (provided by Tromsø municipality)
Henning Hovlid Wærp (provided by Tromsø municipality)
Marthe Tolnes Fjellestad (elected by Perspektivet Museum employees)

Subsistute members
Terje Håkstad (provided by Tromsø municipality)
Tone Bleie (provided by Tromsø municipality)
May Tordis Simonsen (provided by Tromsø municipality)
Milan Dunderovic (provided by Tromsø municipality)
Saynab Mohamud Mikalsen (provided by Tromsø municipality)
Mari Hildung (elected by Perspektivet Museum employees)

Social role

Foto: Mari Hildung/Perspektivet Museum

Tromsø’s rich diversity offers material for presenting different or conflicting perspectives of society, culture and ways of living. The Tromsø region is a pluralistic society with cultural, linguistic, religious and ethnic complexity. The city is growing continuously and attracts new people from near and far. It is currently home to more than 130 nationalities.

Throughout history, contact between north-easterly Scandinavia and Russia has marked the Tromsø region. Kven immigration from Finland, trade with Russian Pomors and Sami seasonal migration to the coast have for centuries given this region an international dimension. The city’s status as a ‘gateway’ to the Arctic Ocean, to important hunting grounds and aquatic resources, has also attracted people from around the world.

There are many pasts, many stories that show variation, diversity and contradictions. Perspektivet Museum uses historical and contemporary angles when presenting themes, doing so in ways that reveal contrasts in values, attitudes and worldviews. By presenting different pasts or standpoints, our hope is to contribute to understanding and respect for the fact that others have a different worldview than our own.

Perspektivet Museum draws inspiration from the ongoing social debate and involves itself in a range of themes, documenting contemporary life and communicating with the public through exhibitions. Undergirding the larger exhibitions are individual people’s stories, often told from highly contrasting positions but rooted in a unifying theme. In order to make the exhibition to an arena for learning, to strengthen reflexivity and encourage the exchange of opinions and wonderment, the museum collaborates with artists who work in different genres, not only in the area of documentation but also in exhibition production. Ideation and planning happen through workshop-based collaboration with researchers, artists and curators, inside and outside the museum.

If one views the museum as a local academy, the focus is on standpoints rather than on geographical territories as the basis for personal and cultural identification. Ideally, the museum can present interpretations and stories that are different from those that dominate mass-media, thus encouraging wonderment over our own life and our place in society.


Storgata 95

Perspektivet Museum is located in Mackgården, a listed patrician house from 1838 to which a great deal of Tromsø residents have a relationship. For 90 years, from 1911-2001, the building was known under the name Folkets Hus (People’s House). All sorts of activities took place here, from political electioneering meetings to chess tournaments, a café, senior citizens’ exercise groups and rock concerts. Before the labour movement took over, Mackgården was one of the city’s distinguished private homes for merchants and directors. In her youth, the famous author Cora Sandel lived here for several years with her family.

Today, the stately neoclassical mansion houses the museum’s administration with the employees’ offices, exhibitions on three levels, Café Cora and a small shop with postcards, books, gifts, etc.

Folkeparken Open-Air Museum


At the south point of Tromsøya stands Folkeparken Open-Air Museum – and the former Troms Folk Museum. The facility is beautifully situated in the city’s most popular excursion area.

Kvitnesgården and Stornaustet have been open to the public since 1998. Perspektivet Museum seeks through exhibitions and arrangements to create a pleasant and interesting environment with a starting point in the old coastal culture. The coastal population’s contact with the outside world has also left is visible signs on the material culture, and the museum has therefore chosen to look at the coastal culture in an international perspective.

The open-air museum in Folkeparken is the county’s oldest and consists of 13 houses from Tromsø and the surrounding district. Troms Folk Museum, established in 1952, built up the facility during a 30-year period, with the good help of its enthusiastic members in the Troms Folk Museum Association.

The road Kvaløyveien divides the museum area into two “courtyards”. By the sea stands the beautiful Kvitnesgården along with a large boathouse, Stornaustet, and buildings that were originally located in Tromsø. On the opposite side of the road stands Mortengården, constituting the centre in a cluster of six log houses. Down by the seaside is the boathouse Engenesnaustet with boats and tools from the 19th century.

Kvitnesgården from 1826 was the main building at the Kvitnes trading post on the island of Vannøya in Nord-Troms. Here, the visitors get a glimpse into life at the old trading centres in North Norway. They were financial and social centres, open to impulses from the outside world. The exhibition “Lovely Beings” is about young, single women at the trading centres the way they are portrayed in literature, while “Klunkestua” shows a reconstructed living room from the end of the 19th century.

In Stornaustet, the two well-used “fembøringer” (special 10-oar Nordland boats), “Merkur” and “Drauen”, occupy the centre of the exhibition “In Cod We Trust”. The exhibition focuses on the important roles and work of the women before the Lofoten Fishery in older times, and on the international trade with clipfish and stockfish as raw materials in the food traditions of foreign lands. The slide show “Fiskelykke” (Good Fortune in Fishing) takes the audience along on the Lofoten Fishery in a reconstruction of “Drauen”.

Mortengården was originally located in Straumshamna on the island of Kvaløya. It is named after Morten Andreassen, born in 1876, who was the last in his line to live in Straumshamna. The oldest part of the house is a small two-room cottage built during the last half of the 18th century. In the prosperous years around 1850, Mortengården was extended with a second floor built of logs. There was a new small room, exterior panelling and a beautiful portal in neoclassical style with initials and date. The way the house stands today, it is a typical representative for the so-called “midtgangstue” (gangway cottage). Judging by its size, farming and fishing must have yielded a good return for building owner Hans Simon Kristoffersen. Mortengården was inhabited until the 1950s, at which time it was taken over by Troms Folk Museum and erected in Folkeparken Open-Air Museum as the first building that could be shown to interested visitors.

The exhibitions in Kvitnesgården and Stornaustet can be visited during the summer season. For further information about opening hours and arrangements in Folkeparken, contact Perspektivet Museum by calling telephone number: (+47) 77 60 19 10, or visit our websites.

Straumen Farm

Straumen Gård (farm) is beautifully situated in Straumsbukta on the island of Kvaløya, about 40 kilometres from Tromsø city centre. The facility is located near the excursion site Hella and the road to Sommarøy, and is well worth a visit.

When the farm was abandoned in the 1960s, Troms Folk Museum took over a very intact and authentic facility, with inventory and implements that belonged to the farm. Today, Straumen Gård is a local museum with an historic atmosphere for arrangements, guided tours and animated teaching.

Straumen Gård consists of 10 buildings, the majority of which were constructed around the middle of the 19th century. Along the beach stand houses for the people and cooking, while cowsheds, stables and barns stand at the outer edge of the courtyard. The sea houses that were part of the facility, two boathouses and a shed are unfortunately gone. The farm has apparently not been divided up, such that the old courtyard shape has been preserved, and we can take delight in an exceptional cultural monument: A virtually intact farm facility which also has retained tools, implements and inventory from the time when there was life in the houses.

Straumen Gård had a favourable location in relation to resources on land and in the sea. It also became a central meeting place for people in the village. For a while, school was held in the cottage, and both postal and goods services were conducted from Straumen Gård.

In the 1960s, the farming operations were closed down and the farm was sold to Troms Folk Museum. The museum took over Bensjordstua from the neighbouring farm and set this up on the property. With the help of government subsidies and great amounts of voluntary work by local residents, the beautiful farm facility was restored and put into use as a local museum.